CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Tim Russert

Last weekend, I watched several Tim Russert tributes, and the things that seemed to most resonate were that he was an amazing journalist and that he was completely devoted to his family and faith (albeit Catholicism).

I was talking to a friend, and fellow Meet the Press junkie, about the fact that, in interviews, you could never decide if Russert was a conservative or a liberal. He always did his homework and knew as much about his guests and their stances as possible, so he could take the "other side", whatever that side may have been. He could interview/argue from both sides completely objectively and, what's most amazing, is that he did it so effortlessly. Yes, I know he was a democrat and, arguably, a liberal, but he didn't wear his personal ideaology on his sleeve and certainly didn't bring it into his interviews. He was always equally tough on both democrats and republicans- tough, but always fair. This is why he was both loved and feared by liberals and conservatives alike. His hard-hitting manner of journalism never came across as mean. He was always decent and civil to his guests, which, knowing who some of his guests were, was a pretty remarkable feat.

I heard that Tom Brokaw is going to replace Russert through the Nov. elections. Because he was such a close friend to Russert, and is so well-respected, I suppose he was an obvious choice. I definitely can't see him being Russert's permanent replacement, but I think he will do well in seeing Meet the Press through the election season. No, the tough interviews that Tim Russert was famous for are not going to happen this year, which is unfortunate because Russert seemed SO ready for Nov., but Brokaw will do his job and will do it well.

I don't know how the exact wording of the original adage goes (it's a little different every time I hear it), but I think Tim Russert epitomized it: "Love what you do and you'll never work another day of your life." Russert seemed to love and embrace his job whole-heartedly and he made a tough and grueling job look easy and even, at times, fun. There will never be another one quite as good as him and my Sundays will never quite be the same...

This morning started out like every other Sunday. I took a shower and got Caleb up, fed, and tossed in the bathtub. I was just starting to dry him off when I realized the time. It was almost 9:00, so I rushed to get Caleb dried off and dressed for church, and we hurried into the living room. I turned the TV to NBC and sat down. I guess in going through my normal routine, it had somehow slipped my mind. As Meet the Press came into focus, I saw Brian Williams. I looked over at Isaac and sighed, "I forgot." Then, Caleb, with a confused look on his face, said, "Mommy, it's supposed to be Tim Wussert, right?" Yes, Caleb, it IS supposed to be Tim Russert.

0 comments: