CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween 2008

Caleb decided that he wanted to dress as Super Mario for Halloween this year. He was also adamant that Isaac dress as Luigi and I dress as Princess Peach. Caleb later revoked my title, and gave that honor to Jessie. Yes, I was replaced by the dog! What?!? Instead, he said that he wanted me to be Bowser. Gee thanks, Caleb! Yeah, Bowser was not happening. I have to admit, though, that Jessie did make an adorable Princess.

After searching for a child's Mario costume to no avail, I realized I was going to have to make one. It sounded easy enough... some overalls, a red t-shirt and a red hat. Little did I know that Caleb had become a picky little Mario expert (as if I needed another one of those in my house!). Mario, he informed me, did NOT wear regular overalls or a baseball cap. ::sigh:: Luckily, Isaac had bought me a sewing machine for Mother's Day. I had not had the time to sit down down and figure out how to use it yet, so there was no time like the present! After tons of failed attempts, I figured out how to effectively use my machine and got started making a pair of authentic Mario overalls and an acceptable hat. I also managed to throw together a felt mask and a question block pail. The pail was just a wooden tissue box cover. It worked out great!

This was Caleb's first year trick or treating. We'd done fall festivals and Boo at the Zoo in the past, but had never gone door to door. My friend Wendy lives in a great neighborhood where almost everyone knows one another and participates in passing out candy, so we headed out to Lexington for some fun. Caleb stayed in character ALL night. If anyone mistakingly called him Caleb, he'd say, "Actually, I'm Mario tonight." He even referred to Isaac as Luigi the entire evening. It was SO funny.

The Mask


The Hat


The Overalls


The Question Block Pail


Mario, Princess Peach, and Luigi


Wendy and Brynn (in utero) as a jack-o-lantern


Quintin as Wolverine


Collin as a Storm Trooper (minus his mask)


Jordan as Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty (with a tiara just for fun) and Will as a spider


Vince as Mickey Mouse


Victoria and Will


Mario and Luigi


The trick-or-treaters in action






3 comments:

Danielle said...

You did a great job on the Mario costume!! Of course I am not surprised!

The Burleys said...

You did an awesome job! You need to start marketing some of your stuff! :)

meetthesmiths said...

Those are the BEST costumes - you are really awesome at that stuff!!! You can make ANYTHING!!