CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Electronic Everything!

::RANT WARNING::


In shopping for Caleb's Christmas gifts, I have come across a lot of neat toys, but the biggest thing I have noticed is that almost everything is electronic now! And, sadly, that's what most parents are looking for. At Target a couple of weeks ago, I overheard a child really excitedly showing his mom some animal figures (basic, non-electronic figures). Her reply (no joke) was, "What do they do?" What do they do?!?! They inspire imagination! That's what they do! She then redirected his attention to a set of animal toys that also made animal sounds. What ever happened to making the sounds yourself? This was only the beginning of what has proven to be a very frustrating shopping season.

While scoping out toys at Toys R US, I came across a Doodler that plays music and sounds! Why in the heck would a kid need all of that to draw/write? No wonder so many kids are ADD! It truly makes me sad that kids' toys don't really encourage creativity anymore. Play kitchens are SO similar to the real thing that you may as well bypass that purchase and let them hang out in the real thing. As kids, didn't we have just as much fun imagining those cooking sounds? And don't get me started on the dolls! I don't think I ever had a doll that did anything more than open and close its eyes, but I can't imagine having had any fonder memories of playing "mommy" with all of my "lifeless" babies. Though they never "did anything," I remember changing imaginary dirty diapers, wiping imaginary tears, and responding to voiceless cries for comfort. And I loved every minute of it!

And now, probably my biggest current electronic pet peeve is the new Leapfrog Tag Reading System. I think the commercial itself pretty much makes my point. Please watch it:

"That book doesn't talk." That's EXACTLY what kids are going to think about books! They will want nothing to do with a book that just sits there and demands to be read solely by you. I DO understand the point of this toy. I get that it is supposed to help kids learn to read. But, I also know that Caleb never needed a talking pen to teach him to read. He only needed parents who were willing to take the time out to read to/with him. We were even capable of using funny voices (imagine that!). And, not only did he learn to read, but he also learned that he is loved and that time spent with him is something that we value greatly.

I'm not saying that there is no place for electronic toys. Educational toys CAN be a good supplement to the things that you are teaching, but they should never become a substitute for hands-on parenting, and it seems like that is increasingly becoming the case. We are purchasing a Leapster for Caleb this year, so that he can play games that will reinforce his math and reading skills, but we will NOT rely solely on it to teach him these skills nor to encourage him. We had considered getting him a toy that promotes writing skills, but later decided that we'd rather use good ol' paper and pencil/crayon. That way WE'RE the ones saying, "Great job" and not some electronic pseudo-parent. What ever happened to parents actually doing the teaching and praising? Kids need to hear approval from their parents' lips.

There are many more toys that I could mention, but I've probably stepped on enough toes for now. If you have bought any of these toys or are planning to, please don't be offended. I'm not saying that ALL electronic toys are bad or that kids should never be exposed to them. Caleb has several "just for fun" toys. They are completely useless except for a quick giggle and that's fine IN MODERATION. I just wish companies would go back to manufacturing toys that foster imagination and creativity. And, more importantly, I wish that parents would go back to wanting these types of toys. ::Sigh:: At least we'll always have Legos. :)

4 comments:

April Emery said...

(STANDING OVATION)

I totally agree with you on this girl. It is so true. That's why we said what we did about preferring that our girls not get electronic gifts this year. Some of my favorite memories of childhoood are when Isaac and I would be imaginative outside. I am sure he has enlightened you into our adventures. :)

I am so proud of you guys for how you are raising Caleb. He is a delightful young boy. He brilliant, but not really aware that he is ... and if he does know, he is very humble. I just love him and wish I could scoop him up ... and then after that I would give you and Isaac a big bear hug.

I cannot wait to see you guys!

sis

The Burleys said...

You just wait ... they will have talking Legos one day, too!! Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Danielle said...

Do you feel better? I think you have been holding this in for a while and I am glad you were able to get it out. I totally agree with you. I love hearing Brady make his car noises or his animal noises. They are just so cute when they do that. Oh and note to self no electronic toys for Caleb.:)