CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 28, 2008

Overdue Post #4- Zoo Trip

A couple of Fridays ago, Caleb and I went to the zoo. Yes, it was stinkin' hot, and yes, we still had fun! We were really excited about seeing the new lion cubs. The zoo was supposed to be alternating them, two at a time, during visiting hours, but there were four in there when we went by! Here's a cute picture of one of them cuddling with a stuffed animal:



One of Caleb's favorite things to do at the zoo is to feed the goats. He is really sweet and always makes sure that every goat gets some food, even if it means staying at the exhibit for 15 minutes waiting for one goat to wake up and come get his share! Here's a pic of that groggy goat!



As we were making our way into the barn, Caleb got a really sad look on his face. I asked him what was wrong.
Caleb: Oh no, Mommy. Did you see that sign? It says, "Do not feed the goats."
I looked over and saw this:



I explained that the sign was only referring to the specific plants in that area and NOT to the pellets we'd just fed the goats. He was very relieved!

Next, was lunch at the oh-so-classy- Kenya Cafe, where I purchased a little tiger lunchbox for Caleb. He, however, was adamant that it was NOT a lunchbox, but a tiger PAIL! Not sure what that was about, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.



During lunch I asked Caleb what he wanted to see next. Although he's never shown any interest in it before, he was insistent we go see the turkey. The turkey? Really, Caleb? The gross, wrinkly-headed, evil-eyed, snood-toting turkey?

So, back to the barn we went. Once there, he walked right up to the turkey, said hey, and proceeded to hold a short conversation with it, before saying, "See ya later, turkey" and waving goodbye. Random! As we were walking away, the turkey jumped up on the rail! Perhaps they were hatching an evil plot!



We always allow Caleb to pick one "extra" activity to do per visit to the zoo (either the pony rides, the carousel, or the train ride). This time around, he picked the train ride, which, I have to admit, was really fun. The nice "conductor" snapped this photo for us:



Here's a picture of the closed hippo exhibit-Montgomery the Hippo was euthanized earlier in the week. :( Montgomery was one of only 4 original animals still living at Riverbanks since the park opened in 1974!. The others include a flamingo, a male Siamang named Solo, and a female white-faced saki named Sterling. I think it's pretty neat that Caleb gets to see a few of the same animals that I enjoyed when I was his age.



Sometimes I think the kids enjoy these statues more than they do the actual animals. We actually had to wait in line to get these pictures! What?!? Maybe they just like the hands-on aspect of it.




Calebism-
While walking through the zoo, Caleb started looking up at some really tall trees...

Caleb: Wow. Look at those giant trees Mommy.
Mommy: Those are giant trees!
Caleb: Yep. Do you know what those trees are called?
Mommy: What?
Caleb: Goliath trees

1 comments:

Andrew Lewis said...

The lion cub picture is about the cutest thing possible. And I'm happy to hear Caleb shares my love of goats. I always knew that kid had something special about him. :)

P.S. - Every time I try to type Caleb's name, I end up spelling "Cable" first. I've been describing hotel room amenities for too long at my job. Ugh.