CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Happy Adams

Last Thursday, my dear Uncle Happy passed away. He had pancreatic cancer and had begun to take a turn for the worse back in January. While I knew his death was nearing and had tried to ready myself for it, nothing really prepares you to lose someone to whom you are so close. Uncle Happy was like a grandfather to me and his loss has hit me very hard. Despite that, I'm comforted by the fact that he was a Christian and also that I was able to share some truly precious moments with him in his final weeks.

Uncle Happy was, without a doubt, one of the most uninhibited, stubborn, uncommonly funny, loving and devoted men that I have ever had the privilege of knowing. He taught me so much about trusting God, about having integrity, about giving and accepting forgiveness, about the importance of family and about treasuring every moment of every day; life lessons that I will always cherish.

No one will ever make me feel as uniquely special as my Uncle Happy did. It was an amazing gift that he had. I always knew we had something special, but as his life reached its conclusion, I discovered that everyone who loved him and was loved by him felt that way about their relationship with him. That, in no way, diminishes the bond that we had, but, instead, makes me appreciate his kindness all the more. It makes me realize just what a remarkable man he was to have been able to connect with so many people in such a beautiful and meaningful way. If he truly loved you, he adored you and would remind you of it every chance he got. If he didn't like you...well, you were just out of luck. I never doubted how much he loved me, because he told me and demonstrated it to me in our every interaction. He never made me feel anything less than completely loved. Even at times in my life when I neither deserved it nor appreciated it, Uncle Happy's unconditional love for me was undeniable. He accepted me with open arms and a doting heart. He taught me that there are aspects of your life that you apologize for and try to change and others that you just apologize for.

If you met Happy once, you'd never forget him. He was a firecracker! He lived a full and vibrant life. It was so hard to see him in those last weeks, so drained of energy, but he handled himself with the utmost dignity and grace. I will NEVER forget that. He showed such courage and peace, as he faced his death. He took his illness in stride and never complained about his situation. He just constantly reminded us how blessed he had been in his 89 years...and we tried to remind ourselves of how much of a blessing he had been to us. Several times he told me that, while he'd like to stick around for a few more years, it wasn't up to him. He trusted in God's timing and was solely content with whatever God wanted for him. It was amazing. I think he made us all trust God's Will a little more. There was something absolutely beautiful about seeing Uncle Happy on the cusp of meeting our savior and being SO peaceful.

When I start to imagine life on Earth without him, it breaks my heart. But then I picture him RUNNING into the Father's arms; no pain, no limitations, no hesitation, just running, in ultimate surrender, and I am instantly consoled. I prayed that God would heal Uncle Happy, and he did; by taking him home. He is restored. He is perfected. He is rejoicing. He is home. And while he will be missed, he will also be forever remembered.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

Precious thoughts and awesome tribute!! Thanks so much for sharing "Uncle Happy" with us!! Love to you!

Danielle said...

Beautifully said!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful tribute. I could feel your love for him when I read it.
Mom

Jeff, Sarah Ellen, and Beck said...

That is so beautiful.

April Emery said...

such a beautiful video clip! it's obvious you two were crazy about each other. take your time grieving, girl. happy meant the world to you and i am so glad you had him in your life. love you